How a Work Injury Lawyer Can Help You Get the Compensation You Deserve

Whether you suffered an injury yesterday or have been suffering from a work-related illness for years, a Work injury lawyer is here to help you get the financial compensation you deserve. There are two types of claims you can file to recover this compensation – workers’ compensation and personal injury damages. An experienced attorney can advise you which one(s) you should file and how to do so.

Getting the Compensation You Deserve

In many cases, you are eligible to receive significant financial compensation for your injury or illness, including medical care, loss of wages and, in some instances, permanent disability payments. However, navigating the process can be challenging and confusing. An experienced Work injury lawyer will handle the details of your case, deal with your employer and the insurance companies on your behalf and ensure that you get the maximum benefits you are entitled to.

A knowledgeable workers’ comp attorney will also be able to explain the terms of your settlement agreement and any Section 32 lump sum buyout of your weekly cash benefits that may apply when you have reached Maximum Medical Improvement or are expected to reach MMI within 30 months. The lawyer will help you determine if a lump sum settlement is in your best interests, and if so, will negotiate the highest possible value.

You Can Choose Your Own Doctors

In New York, you are generally permitted to see any doctors of your choice – as long as they take workers’ comp insurance and have the proper credentials from the WCAB (Workers’ Compensation Board). However, some providers are more likely to push you back to work faster than you are ready or won’t refer you for a specialist. This can be very damaging to your claim. An experienced workers’ compensation attorney can help you understand your rights, ensure that the doctor you choose is supportive of your recovery and protect your best interests.

Some injuries, such as a herniated disc or soft tissue injuries, do not create symptoms right away. Your physician may be hesitant to conclude you were injured at work when this occurs, but a workers’ compensation lawyer will know that these types of injuries are often work-related. Your lawyer will help you obtain a complete medical evaluation and be a strong advocate when it comes time to evaluate your Section 32 offer.

You Can File a Third-Party Claim

If you have a serious, permanent injury or illness caused by an accident at work, you may be eligible to file a lawsuit against other responsible parties, in addition to your employer and the workers’ compensation insurers. A lawsuit can provide much greater compensation than the limited payments offered by a workers’ compensation settlement.

If you have questions about filing a workers’ compensation claim, or if your employer or the workers’ compensation insurance company has denied your claim, contact a Work injury lawyer at Pasternack Tilker Ziegler Walsh Stanton & Romano, LLP today for a free evaluation of your case.